Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Safe in the pie safe?

This is my pie safe:



I'm not sure, but I believe this was my grandfather's sister's pie safe. I remember it from my grandparents' house on the farm when I was growing up. At some point in the late '60s or early '70s, my grandmother or one of my aunts or somebody who probably loved watching The Mod Squad and wearing orange paisley decided to 'antique' the pie safe using that lovely avocado green that was so popular at the time. The scary part is that we all that it was really beautiful when it was done.

Once my grandparents were gone, the pie safe became mine. I took it to my first little apartment in Rock Hill and de-antiqued it. It was a big job, but the results were worth it. I stained the outside, painted the inside blue, and left one little strip inside the door the lovely avocado green. Just so I wouldn't make THAT mistake again.



My grandmother didn't use the pie safe to keep pumpkin and sweet potato and apple pies cozy and ventilated. Instead, she stored her sewing supplies there. I kept my pie safe in our various kitchens over the years, storing our dishes. In this house, there's no room in the kitchen, so I'm following my grandmother's lead and storing my sewing/crafting supplies inside. As you can tell from the top shelf in this picture:



You can also see that I decided to try out the pie feature of the pie safe. On this day before Thanksgiving, I honor my ancestors by using the pie safe for its intended purpose. (Really, I was just trying to find a place where the golden retrievers couldn't retrieve any pies. Maybe the person who invented the pie safe had goldens, too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment